Friday, July 25, 2014

Genealogy Gold in Tennessee

After wandering all over this country, I decided to stay in Tennessee for a while and dig for gold.  The Tennessee State Library and Archives is a good place to spend my time.   It is located in Nashville, but my clever little mouse discovered it for me.

I have discovered the Family Bible Records Online.  The volunteers have scanned over 1,500 family Bible records that are located in the Tennessee State Library and Archives.  All the names within the Bible record are indexed.  Because the south can be difficult for researchers to locate birth, marriage and death records, this a great online resource.  Thanks mouse!
Bible Record - Family Bible Records Online

With a click of the mouse I discovered Research & Collections.  There is everything imaginable there, such as military records, land records, maps, early legislative records, birth and death records, supreme court records and the list goes on.

The Tennessee USGenWeb site is stuffed full of things to read and research.  I am looking for some gold in cemeteries, so stopped off at the TNGenWeb Cemetery Database.  I discovered a listing of cemeteries in Carter County, but was so happy to click on the map showing the location within the county.    Some of the cemeteries have listings of headstones and information.  Turned that horse around and trotted from Nashville to Carter County.  I will need to compare this to FindAGrave.
Carter County, Tennessee Cemetery Map 

Look for gold at the TNGenWeb Historical News Portal.  You can check the name index or browse by county.  Before you dig, check out the Newspaper Map.

Now that I am wandering around Tennessee,  I have settled down for a spell in Stewart County.  They have a USGenWeb page also.  This is going to keep me busy for a few days.  There are family records, cemetery records, historical documents, photographs.  Might as well turn the horse out to pasture and bunk down here.  See you in a couple of days!

Ruby .... digging for genealogy gold in Tennessee

No comments:

Banner banner