Friday, February 13, 2009

Phil, Snow and Maps

Earlier this month groundhog Phil saw his shadow.  His prediction of six more weeks of winter seems to be correct.  Here in Nebraska it is snowing today, inches of the white stuff falling.  It's pretty as long as it doesn't last too long.  By mid March maybe we will be on the downside of Phil's prediction and on our way to spring. 

It's a good morning to do genealogical research, exploring things on Internet.  I have found many wonderful maps that I feel enhance my research.  I have been looking for outline maps for a lecture that I'm presenting.  The Perry-Castaneda Map Collection has many links to useful map sites, many of which are educational maps for students.  I have also found helpful information and maps at 13 Originals Founding the American Colonies.  Part of my lecture pertains to the formation of the colony of New Jersey.  I needed a map showing West Jersey and East Jersey which I found at Where was the West Jersey/East Jersey line?.  Actually there are several maps at that site. 

Maps help your research come to life.  They help you visualize routes that your ancestors may have taken in their migrations, where their land was located on old maps, plus where it is within today's boundaries.  It's a snowy day to find more maps on Internet, so I have several hours of fun ahead!  

No comments:

Banner banner