Friday, August 1, 2014

Kansas Has Genealogy Gold

My trusty companions, the horse and mouse, have turned me south and west of Michigan.  We crossed some a mighty big rivers and ended up in Kansas.  This state promises to be interesting and should keep me busy all weekend.


So far I have been looking for gold at the Kansas Historical Society.  They have a section devoted to Kansas Memory.  The mouse clicked on Osborne County and discovered all kinds of photographs and documents.  Now the mouse wants to click on all of the counties!  The Historical Society's Kansas Digital Newspaper program is interesting.  There are over 200,000 Kansas newspapers available (free) at Chronicling America-Library of Congress.  The horse and mouse are excited that we are turning east and heading to Washington, DC.  There is no need since all that gold is right here for the mouse to find.

There is still gold nuggets to be found in Topeka, so I hunker down to start diggin'.  I discovered the Kansas Military Index and it was shining nice and bright with gold.  I am jumping for joy because there are indexes to all kinds of military records, such as the Kansas 19th Cavalry Enlistments, 1868-1869. There is also an index to Civil War veterans in Kansas.

I met up with another genealogist who was mining for gold.  She whispered that I should look for nuggets in Osborne County, Kansas.  It seems that the library there has some buried nuggets just waiting for genealogists.  The horse, mouse and I head for the Osborne Public Library in the town of Osborne.  It is a nice looking place and I hitch the horse up to a sign that is for handicapped.  Sure enough there is gold in that library.  I discover the digitized newspapers that begin in 1876.

Dodge City seems like an interesting place that just might have gold.  I hope I don't have to fight off gunslingers to get to it.  The Kansas Genealogical Society has a library there.  They are joined by the Kansas Society Daughters of the American Revolution in depositing gold there.  I stumble across an index to obituaries and jump for joy.  They begin in 1870.  There is just enough here for me to stick around Dodge City for days.

See you next week!

Ruby ... finding genealogy gold in Kansas

No comments:

Banner banner